Thursday, May 17, 2007

I would wish to follow up my earlier post about the sexist remarks made by the two MPs. As I said, MP Fong didn't show enough wit to stand up to the two MPs. Here's a video of the Opposition party demanding an apology from the MPs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxDZ0UJXIc0&mode=related&search=

As DAP leader Lim Kit Siang mentioned, in the heat of the argument nobody really took notice of the remarks made by the two MPs. However, it seems like the media decided to make this into an issue. Thanks to MP Fong however, who I'm sure didn't notice the remarks as well and had to rely on the media, the issue was made even bigger and in some parts, even seemed like a move to try and outdo the ruling party's MPs. Perhaps a publicity stunt to garner more votes for the next elections? Perhaps MP Fong could have learn from her fellow party member, Ipoh Barat MP Kulasegeran. MP Kulasegeran showed exactly what I have been trying to stress. Enough wit and poise to actually give a reply where the two MPs would find themselves in a lost for words without trying to hard to make this issue into a disaster.


Here's the video of the remarks made...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqnw-q93wyc


As we can see, after the remarks had been made, the MPs had the cheek to have a good laugh about it. As I have said earlier, they were definitely in the wrong and an apology is needed here.


On a more personal note, I am quite disappointed that the Dewan Rakyat is just as noisy and "huru-hara" as a pasar malam. I've been to high school debates which are less messy than the Dewan Rakyat meeting. I used to think that the MPs would sit around and discuss in a highly civilized way about current issues. But from the videos, with sexist remarks being made and insults being hurled from all over the place, I am sorely disappointed. But if this is how the Dewan Rakyat discuss daily issues, who am I to change it right?


Also, I can see why DAP is now the strongest Opposition party. I have found new respect for DAP leader Lim Kit Siang who seemed like a charismatic MP who is actually brave enough to raise issues to be discussed with the ruling party. Most of the time I read about him in newspapers but to see him challenge MP after MP of the ruling party, it was enjoyable. Not because I do not like the ruling party. But because, sometimes, the ruling party needs to be reminded not to be too lacking in their job in running the country
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home