Sunday, January 30, 2005

Of shoes and a lesson well learnt

Just the other day I was wandering around a local shopping mall when I happened to stumble upon a mother and her daughter, picking out shoes for the latter. The daughter was trying on about 5-6 different types of shoes. At the end of the day she picked out 2 pairs, a blue 1 and a white 1 which somehow looked like a pair of school shoes.(Adrian...you should know which pair i'm tokin bout =D )

So I decided to be a bit kaypo(nosy) and checked out how much those shoes costs.
RM260 for the white
RM240 for the blue

I peered down at my feet...a pair of RM5 slippers on them and wonder.."Why do some people actually spend so much on shoes.Even if they did, do they really need 2 pairs at once?"

This reminds me of a story my mom used to tell me when I was small. The story might have been retold in different versions but my mom's version goes a little something like this:-
"Molly recently bought a pair of branded shoes. It costs her mom, who was working many jobs to make ends meet, a third of her monthly salary. One day, mom and Molly walked past a shoe shop, which happened to be displaying a new pair of shoes which is just as expensive as the ones Molly have. She wanted it badly. Her mom couldn't afford it. She pulled Molly out of the shop, into the streets and pointed towards an old, sickly man. Molly noticed he doesn't have legs. Thus she realised that there are many unlucky people who will never have the chance to put on shoes and she should appreciate what she has with her now."

Fine fine....I was actually kinda jealous that the daughter was able to get 2 pairs of brand new shoes.
BUT...i've also learned to appreciate the things I have.
Want a good example? Back to my RM5 slippers....It's entering its fifth year wiv me...and it still looks like its new.

Moral of this post? Always appreciate what you have.
Where to find those slippers? Pasar malam of course....Cheers.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home